History of the Churches
of the Beaver Bapt. Assoc.
by Rev. Abner G. Kirk
(Pittsburgh: W. S. Haven, 1860)
HISTORY OF THE CHURCHES
B E A V E R
FROM 1809 TO 1860.
PRINTED BY W. S. HAVEN, CORNER OF WOOD AND THIRD STREETS.
At the meeting with the Zion Church, in 1859, it was found that even a synopsis would increase the expense of the Minutes, and would not satisfy the demand for a more complete history. Voted, "That the author be requested to collect, during the year, interesting items, and prepare a concise History, and present it at our next Assoeiation, with a view to its publication in book or pamphlet form."
At the meeting held at Sharon, in 1860, the following work was read, received and adopted by the Association, and _voted,_ "That Bro. A. G. Kirk and Bro. J. B. Williams, superintend its publication, and report next year."
The work is necessarily imperfect, owing in part to incompiete records in some of the churches, in part to imperfect
iv TO THE READER.
information respecting ministers and others removed or deceased, and in part to the inability of the author in the preparation of the work. He indulges the hope that allowance will be made for omissions and mistakes. If the work is not _all_ that is desired, it may at least serve to preserve the names and deeds of the servants of Christ, who, by the blessing of God, planted these churches. Perhaps before the expiration of the next fifty years, a more satisfactory work may be prepared.
[ 5 ]
In the Minutes of 1857 will be found a Circular Letter, by Bro. Samuel Stoughton. By that we find, that in 1809 seven churches sent eighteen delegates, two of whom were ministers, in order to organize an Association. They met at Sharon, Mercer county, Pennsylvania, June 24th. Bro. Jeremiah Brooks was appointed Moderator, and Bro. Clover Snow, Clerk. They formed a Constitution and Rules of Decorum, but _Resolved,_ "To meet with the Providence Church, Beaver county, Pa., August 25th, 1809." Now ten churches were represented by 25 delegates, five of whom were ministers. Bro. Henry Frazure was chosen Moderator, and Bro. William P. West, Clerk. Bro. Thomas G. Jones preached the introductory sermon, Ps. 133:1 -- "Behold how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity." At this meting the Association was organized. In 1819, all the Baptist churches in Pennsylvania, west of the Allegheny river, also all the churches in Ohio, east of Wooster, and as far north as the Lake, were included in this Association. In 1819, two Associations were formed; the Mahoning, including North-eastern Ohio, and the Mohegan, including South-eastern Ohio. This, action left Beaver 12 churches, 331 ,members, and 3 ordained ministers, with a territory reaching from the Ohio river on the south to Jamestown on the north, about sixty miles, and from Butler on the east to the Ohio line on the west, about forty miles, including also the Achor
6 BEAVER BAPTIST ASSOCIATION.
Church, in Columbiana county, Ohio. This church in 1821 united with the Mahoning, but in 1828 it again united with Beaver.
In 1859, the fiftieth anniversary was held with the Zion Church, Butler county, Pa. Bro. A. G. Kirk was chosen Moderator, and Bro. D. L. Clouse, Clerk. The introductory and semi-centennial sermon, was preached by Bro. Rees Davis, Luke 4:19—" To preach the acceptable year of the Lord." At this time 16 churches were represented; membership, 1,388; ordained ministers, 13.
The meetings of the Association have been held with the Providence Church, in 1820, 1824, 1829, 1832, 1839, 1844, 1852, 1857. Sharon, 1811, 1817, 1821, 1828, 1833, 1841, 1846, 1860. Unity, 1815, 1827, 1831, 1837,. 1842, 1855. West Salem, 1848, 1856. Achor, -1810, 1838, 1843, 1847, 1854. New Bethel, 1849. Zoar, 1851, 1858. Zion, Butler county, 1845, 1850, 1859. New Castle, 1853. Warren, Ohio, 1813, 1816. Wooster, Ohio, 1818. New Lisbon, Ohio, 1814, 1819. Bethel, Mercer county, 1822. Zelienople, 1826. Pittsburgh, 1830. Youngstown, Ohio, 1834. Zion, Armstrong county, 1825, 1835. Salem, Ohio, 1836, 1840. French Creek, 1812. Bull Creek, Allegheny county, 1823.
The lowest number of baptisms reported in any year, was in 1824; during that year 12 only were baptized. The highest number in any year was in 1858; during that year 189 were baptized.
PROVIDENCE CHURCH. *Previous to 1801, Ezekiel Jones and Hannah Jones, his wife, removed to Beaver county, and settled on the bank of
* The names of some of these churches do not designate the place. This is called Providence Church, but its location is North Sewickley Beaver county.
PROVIDENCE CHURCH. 7
the Connoquenessing, about four miles above its confluenee with the Beaver river. Henry Spear visited them, and preached the first sermon ever delivered in this part of the State by a Baptist. Here these three, bound together by the strong cord of Christian affection, and influenced by the same doctrines, soon joined by others of the same sentiments, raised the banner around which many who have gone to receive their reward, assembled, and around which in 1860, after a period of fifty-one years, 1,451 Baptists in this Association are found. On that banner, as taught in the Bible, we find sentiments precious to us, advocated and preserved from the days of John Baptist until now, and which we most firmly believe will become universal.
The church was constituted by Henry Spear, at the house of Ezekiel Jones, November 14th, 1801; in number, 21.* Henry Frazure was elected their second pastor, 1802, and continued until 1812; Thomas Rigdon, 1813 until 1814; Andrew Clark, 1814 until 1820; Henry Frazure, 1821 until 1824; Samuel M'Millen, 1825 until 1831; John Winter,1827 until 1828. These ministers were both delegates from this church in 1827; which was pastor in 1827 the author cannot determine from record nor minutes. They probably both preached once a month. William Stone, 1832 until 1834. NOTE. -- In 1832 a difficulty arose, which may account for the loss of church record from November 16, 1833, until August, 1838. It is said the record was kept in a small book during. the five years; that book cannot be found. Thomas Daniels became pastor in 1836, and remained until 1844; Daniel Daniels, 1844 until 1846; Jacob Morris, 1846 until 1855; John Trevitt, supply, six months; John Parker; 1856 until 1859; A. G. Kirk, 1859, the present pastor. The present number of members, 150. Abraham Ekright received license to preach the gospel, June 14, 1823; Willis Barris, December
* The names of all the constituent members of the churches could not be obtained, therefore none are given.
8 BEAVER BAPTIST ASSOCIATION.
20, 1823, and Jeremiah H. Hazen, August 20, 1842. The Deacons. --- Ezekiel Jones, Henry Kidendall, Oliver Jones, Isaac Hazen, Nathaniel Hazen, John Robinson, John Hazen, Nathan Hazen, Benjamin Reno, William Gardener, Joseph Hazen, Matthew Kelley, Daniel Main, Samuel Thomas, John Thomas and James B. Hazen.
In September, 1833, this church sent a delegation to meet with others at Peter's Creek, in order to establish, at some place in Pennsylvania, a Manual Labor Academy. The effort failed, but we arQ not without a hope that a work so desirable will yet be accomplished.
The Church of Christ has from the time of its organization, more than eighteen hundred years ago, been subject to difficulties, and this one has not escaped. An attempt was made in 1832 to change the Articles, in consequence of which a storm arose, the vessel was driven before it, and narrowly escaped shipwreck; it was, however, saved. Let others be careful that their ship strike not this shoal of danger.
The meetings were first held at the house of Ezekiel Jones, which was situated near the Connoquenessing bridge, on the south side of the stream, and west side of the road, on the first elevation. After - this, in a school house; and subsequently, during the first pastorate of Henry Frazure, a log meeting-house was erected. In this house many sound and able sermons were delivered, and blessed to the good of the church and conversion of many in the congregation. Here, fathers and mothers now in heaven prayed for children that are now with them in the company of angels and redeemed souls. Here, parents united with pastors in prayer for some who are now consistent members of the church. During the pastorate of Daniel Daniels, a new frame house was built, which was destroyed by a storm in 1857 and rebuilt the same year, during the pastorate of John Parker. It is a substantial frame, pleasantly situated one-half mile east of the road from
????????? CHURCH. 9
is much scattered; the territory reaches from Wirtemburg to New Brighton, twelve miles from north to south, and from the Beaver river on the west, six miles eastward at the widest place.
SHARON CHURCH.In 1802, David Philips, of Peter's Creek, visited this place. He found in Salem township, Mercer county, John Morford and James Morford and their wives, natives of New Jersey. At Georgetown, in the same county, he visited Thomas Philips, and at Sharon he found Thomas Rigdon and Isaiah Jones. This faithful and untiring servant of Christ gathered these and soon others, around the gospel banner, and made preparations for the organization of a church.
The church was constituted by David Philips, S. David and B. Smith, June 29, 1804; in number, 19. Soon after this, they learned that by sending a team to New Jersey, a distance of nearly four hundred miles, a minister could be obtained. The money to defray expenses was raised, a team furnished, and in 1805 their first pastor, Thomas G. Jones, took charge of the church; he remained until 1811. Joshua Woodworth, who is yet living, and able to attend meetings of Association, was their second pastor, 1814 until 1816. During the next ten years, Samuel M'Millen, Sidney Rigdon, (and probably Cyrus P. Lee and George M'Cleary, licentiates) preached for this church, but the dates are not certain. C. P. Lee was delegate in 1818, and G. M'Cleary in 1822. Henry Frazure was chosen in 1826, and remained until 1829. NOTE. -- The name of this minister is found as delegate from 1831 until 1834; Jacob Morris, 1834 until 1837; David Thomas, 1839 until 1840; John Winter, 1842 until 1844; William B. Barris, 1845 until 1847; Thomas W. Greer, 1847 until 1851; William Storrs, 1851 until 1852; S. H. Ruple, 1852 until 1854; M. C. Hendren, 1857 until 1858; John Moses, supply,
10 BEAVER BAPTIST ASSOCIATION.
six months; John Parker, 1859, the present pastor. In 1807, William P. West and Adamson Bentley received license to preach; Thomas Rigdon in 1809, and George M'Cleary and Benjamin Reno, some time after this date. M. C. Hendren was ordained in 1857. The Deacons.—John Morford, H. Hoagland, N. Hazen, James Norford, Benjamin Reno, John Hazen, E. S. Budd, Joseph Morford, John Morford, Jacob Hand, Robert Durham and John Urmson.
The most serious difficulty, and the one which, perhaps, more than all others combined, retarded their progress, occurred in 1853. The Lord being merciful to them, they are once more at peace among themselves, and in prosperity. Their first meetings were held in barns, groves, private houses and school houses. About the year 1807, a log meeting-house Was erected. During the pastorate of John Winter, their present house was erected; it is a good frame, situated on a pleasant elevation in the town of Sharon. The membership is not so much scattered as that of Providence; some of the members, however, live six miles from town. The present membership, 115.
UNITY CHURCH.Henry Spear visited this place previous to 1808; perhaps he visited them while pastor at Providence. In 1809, Thos. Rigdon also preached here. Among the first to aid the ministers here, was John Orlton, a Christian of no ordinary faith and zeal; he and others were indeed pioneers in this section. The.church was constituted by Henry Spear, Henry Frazure and Thomas Rigdon (H. Frazure preached, Matt. 16 18—"On this rock I will build my church"), at the house of Thomas Clark, September 17, 1808; in number, 12. Henry Frazure was elected their first pastor. He was a delegate from 1816 until 1824; Thomas Rigdon was his successor, after which Samuel Stoughton became the pastor. In 1849, Geo.
????????? CHURCH. 11
AMANA CHURCH. Collins was elected, and remained until 1852 ; David Philips 1853 until 1854; Levi Ross, 1854 until 1855; John M'Conahy, 1855 until 1858; John Trevitt, 1858, the present pastor, Andrew Clark was licensed to preach August 14, 1813. The Deacons. -- Elisba Smith, Jonathan Williams, John Orlton, David Emery, William Vogan, Jacob Rose, Andrew Stough. ton, J. Dean, Robert Hampson, John Nelson, Gideon Wood, and Noah Dean.
If this church has not received as many members as some others, according to their respective ages, it has not been so much troubled with difficulties as many others. "Be at peace among yourselves." We do not find a minister's name among the delegates from 1824 until 1849, a period of twenty-five years. Their ministers did not, probably, during this time, reside in the vicinity. Their meetings were first held at the house of Thomas Clark, 'near Harlensburg; after this, a log house was built in the village. This remained until 1850, when a very commodious and substantial brick was built in the village. The membership of this church is more compact than the two already noticed, their present number, 64.
AMANA CHURCH.Matthias Luse and Henry Spear were the first ministers who preached in this place. Andrew Clark preached occasionally here previous to the constitution of the church. These ministers, and others who visited this place, were assisted by C. Meaker, J. Ash, Stephen Luse, David Morgan, William Liken, Jesse Knox, and others. The church was constituted by Henry Spear, Nathaniel Tibbet and Andrew Clark, March 22, 1820; in number, 25. Their first pastor was Andrew Clark; he was succeeded by Nathaniel Tibbet; his successor was Samuel M'Millen, 1822, then Henry Frazure; he was succeeded by Samuel Stoughton. George Collins
12 BEAVER BAPTIST ASSOCIATION.
as pastor from 1853 until 1855; Gabriel Lanham, 1857 until 1859; John Temple, 1860, the present pastor. The Deacons. -- Stephen Luse, David Critchlow, James Critchlow, James Jones, and William Knox.
This church has not increased in numbers equal to some others. An irregular administration of the gospel may, in part, at least, account for this. Their meetings were held in school houses, until a meeting-house was built. Their house of worship; is a frame, situated in the village of Evansburg, Butler county. The membership is too much scattered for efficiency. The present number, 56.
MUDDY CREEK CHURCH.Henry Spear was the pioneer minister here; he was assisted by Nathaniel Tibbet. These, after having gathered a few brethren and sisters of - the same faith and order, were prepared for the orgaui%ation of a church. This was done October 19, 1819, by Henry Spear and Nathaniel Tibbet; in number, 17. Their first pastor was N. Tibbet; he was succeeded by Samuel Stoughton, who received license to preach the gospel, November 30, 1822, and was ordained November 28, 1823, at which time he was elected psstor, and has remained in that relation until now, a period of thirty-seven years,. being the longest pastorate since the organization of the Association. The Deacons.—Jacob Rose, John Shaffer, Robort Hampson, and C. Baker.
This church has never been injured by dissensions. "Let brotherly love continue." The members are less compact than those of some other churches. The pastor resides several miles from the meeting-house. Their house of worship is brick; it is situated three miles north of Prospect village, Butler -county; it was injured by storm a few years ago, but has been repaired. The membership, 55.
????????? CHURCH. 13
WEST SALEM CHURCH. In 1802, James and Anti Morford, and John and Mary Morford, emigrated from New Jersey, and located in Mercer county, about three miles west of West Greenville. These were, at that time, the only Baptists in this section of the country. Thomas G. Jones, from the same State, then residing at Sharon, visited them at their new western home, and preached the gospel to them and others. Three candidates were soon baptized, and a branch of the Sharon Church was constituted here, which remained as such for nineteen years. As the church was received by the Association in 1827, this branch must have been organized in 1807, two years after Thomas G. Jones settled at Sharon. We are not informed who the three converts were, the first fruits in this place. Richard Morford furnished the items of this church, and if he and his wife were two of them, as is supposed, he may have purposely omitted their names. These two aged followers of the Saviour must, however, be placed among the pioneers of this church, not only actively engaged in the beginning of the interest, but on to old age. Once, when one of our ministers was aiding the present pastor in a meeting, being at the time a guest of Richard Morford and his hospitable and maternal wife, the former being unwell, and the evening cold and unpleasant, the minister remarked, "Father Morford, you had, perhaps, better remain at home by your fireside to-night;" with a countenance of zeal and determination never, to be forgotten, he replied, "When the preacher has an appointment at this church, I have an appointment." This branch was supplied by Thomas G. Jones, Joshua Woodworth, George M'Cleary, and Jesse Brown. The church was constituted by Henry Frazure. and Jesse Brown, September 16, 1826; in number, 14. Their first pastor was Henry Frazure, succeeded by Joshua Woodworth, 1843
14 BEAVER BAPTIST ASSOCIATION.
Jeremiah H. Hazen, 1844 until 1847; Nimrod Burwell, 1847 until 1850; B. Phelps, 1852 until 1854; William Leet, 1854 until 1855; Jacob Morris, 1855, the present pastor. Jere- miah H. Hazen was ordained April 24, 1844. The Deacons. —Richard Morford, James M. Johnson, John Woods and Isaac Young.
The early settlers here being Baptists, and firm in the ad- vocacy of their sentiments, and a regular supply in the ad- ministration of the Word since 1844, may, in part, with the blessing of God, account for their ' present strength and pros- perity. They have not escaped serious difficulties, but in all their trials God has aided them by his grace, and thus far they have overcome. Their meetings were held in private houses, school rooms, &c. until a small frame was built. In 1856, the second year of the pastorate of Jacob Morris, a substantial frame was erected in the village of Maysville. This house is one of the best in the Association. The membership of this church is more compact than that of some others, though some of the members reside six miles from the village. Their present number, 161.
ACHOR CHURCH.Henry Frazure was the first to preach here. He found; Owen Bowen, Joel Rogers, A. Rogers, Christopher Warman, Henry Kikendall and others, to aid him in the advocacy of gospel el doctrines and apostolic practice, and in planting a church in this part of Ohio. The church was constituted by David Philips and Bro. Pritchard, August, 1804; in number, 14. Henry Frazure was their first pastor, 1804 until 1815. NOTE. -- During the last five years, he was, however, but seldom with them. Thomas Rigdon, 1816 until 1818. He was succeeded by Andrew Clark, 1819; Jehu Brown, 1825 until 1828, William P. West, 1828 until 1831, Jonathan Davis, 1834 until 1836; Rees Davis, 1836, who in his
????????? CHURCH. 15
AcHOR CHURCH. own language, "Having obtained help of God, remains unto this day." Next to that of Samuel Stoughton, this is the longest pastorate in this Association, being a period of twenty-four years. In 1844, J. L. Douglass received license to preach the gospel. He is now a missionary in Burmah, * and so far as the author is informed, the only person that has ever gone to the heathen from this Association. "Come over into Macedonia and help us."
Let the rude barbarian, see,
That divine and glorious conquest
Once obtained on Calvary
Let the gospel
Loud resound from pole to pole."
* Returned since the above was prepared.
BEAVER BAPTIST ASSOCIATION.
Henry Frazure probably preached the first sermon in this place, as he lived in this vicinity a portion of the time while pastor at Providence. It is supposed that Thomas Rigdon and Andrew Clark also visited this place occasionally, while at Providence, the distance being but ten miles. William Tindall, Elizabeth Tindall, Joseph own, Elizabeth Brown, and Isaac Jones and his wife, wer among the first Baptists here. In 1818, August 15,privilege was granted by Provi- dence Church to their members living on the west side of Bea- ver river, to organize a branch. The church was constituted by William Stone, Jonathan Davis and Samuel Williams, in 1831; in number, 22. Their first pastor was William Stone, 1832; Jonathan Davis was his successor; then Isaac Barris, 1838; John Whiter, 1840 until 1842; Levi Ross, 1846 until 1848; Daniel Daniels, 1849; John M'Conahy, 1850 until 1853; r _ r Daniel Daniels, 1855 until 1858; Gabriel Lanham, 1858, the present pastor. John M'Conahy was ordained September 27, 1851. The Deacons.—Joseph Brown, Zechariah Tindall, Jacob Book and Henry Crider.
This church has experienced, like most others, difficulties which have seriously injured them, and at times much retarded their progress. They are now favored with preaching every two weeks, and we are not without the hope that, by the blessing of the Lord, they may yet become a strong church. Their meeting-house stands on the east side of the Beaver river, one mile from Moravia and two miles from Wampum. A part of the membership are on the east and a part on . the west of the river, and as the families in the north part of the territory are within two miles of New Castle, and the families in the south nearly as far down the stream as the mouth of the Connoquenessing, it will be perceptible to those acquainted with this section, that this church is not sufficiently compact for efficient work. Their present number, 100.
In 1797, Edward Wright (known as Major Wright) and his wife Abigail, natives of New Jersey, removed from Peter's Creek, to which they had previously emigrated, to North Beaver township, Beaver county (now Lawrence) . This was the fourth family in the township After the constitution of the Sharon Church, Abigail unVdd with them by letter, and Edward by baptism. Subsequently, Rees Davis, in his jour= ney from Achor to Cornersburg, near Youngstown, Ohio, was entertained by these servants of God. Here these three kindred spirits mingled, like union drops of water into one; , here they viewed the field of the enemy, talked over and over again the difficulties to be overcome before a church could be gathered. To the Holy Bible they turned for the "great commission" and the unshaken promises of Christ. After much prayer and conversation, arrangements were made for preaching on the fifth Sabbaths, viz. four Sabbaths in a year; very soon, however, they had preaching once a month. In August, 1840, after some four years' labor, the first fruits were gathered —two converts, William 'Williams and Rachel Kincaid, were baptized. "They that sow in tears, shall reap in joy; he that goeth forth and weepeth, bearing precious seed, shall doubtless come again with rejoicing, bringing his sheaves with him." P. 126: 5, 6. This church was constituted June 17, 1842, by Rees Davis, Thomas Daniels, John Winter and Daniel Daniels; in number, 13. Rees Davis was chosen their first pastor, 1842 until 1851; Demas L. Clouse, 1851 until 1857; John M'Conahy, 1858, the present pastor. In 1858, E. A. Philips was licensed, and is now at Lewisburg University.* The Deacons.—Edward Wright, John Long, William Henderson, William Williams, Daniel Fox, Samuel Pence and Benjamin Crowther.
* Deceased. See Abstract of Letters, 1860, Zoar Church.
18 BEAVER BAPTIST ASSOCIATION.
This church has never yet been retarded by difficulties.
"Lo, what an entertaining sight,
Those friendly brethren prove,
Whose cheerful hearts in bands unite
Of harmony and love."
They have, by the blessing of God, "lengthened the cord and strengthened the stakes," until "the place of their tent" occupies much of the territory within one mile of the village, and many families within two miles. Their first meetings were held at Edward Wright's; in the Methodist Episcopal meeting-house, Hillsville; after this, in Mr. Henly's barn, and the wheel-wright shop of George Sell. In 1845 their meeting-house, a frame, was built. It is situated one-fourth of a mile from Hillsville; it is well shaded by thrifty locusts. The privileges of this church for social meetings, are superior to all others in this Association, except those in villages and towns. With the exception of a few families, the membership is compact. Their present number, 141.
ZION CHURCH.Among the first Baptists in this place were Robert Hampson and his wife Mary; they, in union with a few others, commenced a meeting of prayer; in these meetings John Orlton united in the spirit of Jacob, when he said to the angel, "I will not let thee go, except thou bless me." Thomas Daniels and his son Daniel Daniels, were the first ministers who preached here. The church was constituted November 15, 1841, by Rees Davis, Thomas Daniels and Daniel Daniels; in number, 7. At this meeting 13 were baptized, making 20 in all. Daniel Daniels was elected their first pastor, 1841 until 1843; Samuel Furman, 1844 until 1848; G. T. Dinsmore, supply, six months; Samuel Stoughton, 1850 until 1852; David Philips, 1853 until 1854; John Trevitt, 1856,
????????? CHURCH. 19
E ?' CASTLE CHUBGM. the present pastor. In 1842, William Cooper received license to preach, and in the same year Daniel Daniels was ordained. The Deacons.-- William Emery, Robert Hampson, Samuel Pence, Harlen Vogan and Thomas Clark.
As we have seen, this church was greatly blessed at the time of its constitution. The prayers offered had not only made an impression on those who heard on earth, but had ascended before the throne of God, made acceptable by the intercession of Christ, and now the cloud of mercy most graciously poured down its showers of grace on the hearts of those who prayed, and on many others. For several years they enjoyed great prosperity, and, as will be seen by minutes, the church rapidly increased in number. After this, for a few years, but few united with them. In the autumn of 1858, the Lord visited them with the refreshing influences of the Spirit, the church was much revived, and many united with them. This church, like almost all others, has had its trials, but the Lord has thus far been with them, and they are now in prosperity. They have not the privileges of compact membership; some of their families live six miles from the place of worship, and others at a greater distance. The majority, however, reside within three miles. During the pastorate of Daniel Daniels, a very large and substantial brick meeting-house was built; it is situated on dry ground, in a beautiful forest grove, three miles south of east from Harlensburg, and four miles from Portersville, in Butler county. Their present number,118.
NEW CASTLE CHURCH.The first resident Baptist in this town was Mary Craven, of New Jersey, who, at an advanced age, came, as she said, to "visit her son and build a Baptist church in New Castle." In a short time, William and Ann Book, of Zion, removed to this place, and soon after Edward Griswold, and Giles O.
20 BEAVER BAPTIST ASSOCIATION.
Griswold and Maria his wife, of Connecticut, who had emit grated to Ohio, joined with the three already here. A prayer meeting was commenced, and here prayer was offered to God for an outpouring of the Spirit and for success in their efforts to build up a church. These six were afterward joined by John C. Davis and Jane his wife, of Philadelphia. The prayer meetings were at first held in an old log house, in which Richard Craven resided at that time; this house yet remains -- it is on North street, a few doors west of East street; and it is worthy of remark, that the meeting-house is on the corner of these streets, not two hundred feet from the place where the first prayer meeting was held. "According to your faith, be it unto you." The ministers who first preached here were Rees Davis, John Winter, William B. Barris and George I. Miles. The church was constituted by Rees Davis and John Winter, November 27, 1843; in number, 7. Edward Miles was chosen their first pastor, 1845 until 1847; Abner G. Kirk, 1848 until 1859; Jesse B. Williams, 1859, the present pastor. The Deacons. -- G. O. Griswold, William Book, David Murphy, and James M. Craig.
In the early history of this church they were much troubled with dissensions, but they maintained their regular meetings of prayer: the Lord heard, answered, and saved them. Their first interest was at a time when George I. Miles visited them: very many in the town, some of whom never united with this church, date their first deep convictions to this meeting. The church has enjoyed since that time, special blessings from God. They are in prosperity. Their meetings were first held in vacated shops, "upper rooms," and afterward in the Protestant Methodist meeting-house and lastly, previous to entering their own house of worship, in a school house on North street. In 1848 their meeting-house, a brick, was built. The members live generally in town, though some reside four miles from it. Their present number, 167.
EAST SALEM AND HARMONY CHURCHES.
This church is north of east from West Greenville, between that and Georgetown. The writer has not received any sketch of this church, and can therefore only give items as collected from minutes. If any communication has been forwarded, it has gone to some other place. The church was received by the Association in 1846; in number, 11. The ministers who have preached for them are Winthrop Converse, Z. M. Leavitt and I. Philips. The first was a delegate in 1846, 1855, 1856 and 1859; the second, in 1848, 1852 and 1853, and the third, in 1860, present supply. Their number is 20. From the minutes, we find that J. Dunham, F. Hazen, H. Fulton, J. M'Cartney, Jacob Loutzenhizer, N. Hill, D. Loutzenhizer, J. Feather, J. Stewart, J. R. Wilson, Lemuel Hazen and E. Wood, have been delegates from this church, but who were the pioneers, we are not informed. Their present number, 20.
HARMONY CHURCH.John Hazen and his wife Rebecca, and Nathan Hazen and his wife Lavina, members at Providence, were the first Baptists in this place. Thomas Daniels and Daniel Daniels were the first ministers who preached here. An occasional sermon was, however, delivered by some other ministers who passed that way. The church was constituted by Samuel Stoughton, Jacob Morris, Daniel Daniels, Levi Ross and A. G. Kirk, November 2, 1849; in number, 20. Their first pastor was Levi Ross, 1849 until 1854; Daniel Daniels, 1854 until 1857; Samuel Godshall, 1858 until 1859; Gabriel Lanham, the present pastor. The Deacons. -- John Hazen, Nathan Hazen, Oliver Hazen and William Hazen. They have gradually increased in numbers and strength almost every year since their constitution. This church has not, however, altogether escaped difficulties, but out of them
22 BEAVER BAPTIST ASSOCIATION.
the Lord has delivered the church, and they now enjoy prosperity. Their meetings were at first held in a school house, near the residence of Nathan Hazen. During the pastorate of Levi Ross, their meeting-house, a frame, was built; it is situated seven miles from New Castle, on the road to New Brighton; this road also leads to Pittsburgh, by way of Zelienople. Their present number, 74.
NEW PROSPECT CHURCH.James Spear was the first Baptist in this section. The first sermon was delivered by Levi Ross, in the autumn of 1851. In April, 1852, he was employed to preach once a month. In June, 1852, he baptized 6 candidates. John M'Conahy began to preach for them April, 1853; he visited them twice a month, and baptized 12. The church was constituted by David Philips, D. L. Clouse, George Collins, Levi Ross, Z. M. Leavitt, John M'Conahy, S. H. Ruple and A. G. Kirk, September 28, 1853; in number, 20. John M'Conahy was elected their first pastor, 1853 until 1857; Samuel Godshall, 1857 until 1858; A. H. Waterman, 1858 until 1859; Joseph Burwell, 1860, the present supply. Samuel Godshall was ordained December, 1857. In 1859, October 12, Willis Lewis, of the Branch Church, received license to preach. In 1859, a branch called the Virginia Branch, was organized-12 were baptized at that time, and they now number 29. The Deacons. -- John Lutton, Henry Swaggers, James Spear and William Spear.
This church, though young, has had serious difficulties, and thus their progress has been much retarded. "See that ye love one another with a pure heart, fervently." 1 Peter 1: 22. Their meetings were first held at the residence of John Lutton, and in a school house near that place. They have now a meeting-house inclosed, floor laid, and furnished with temporary seats; it is situated four miles from New Wilmington, nearly on the road to Mercer. Their present number, 45.
????????? CHURCH. 23
Mitt URE t'~11 lJ H U 11L11e MILL CREEK CHURCH+ Winthrop Converse, Isaac Philips and David Philips, were the first ministers who preached here. They were aided in their work by Caleb Corbin and Sarah Corbin, of Maryland, Mary Duff, Riley Bruce and Mary Bruce, of Mercer county, Jacob Price, Margaret Price and Rachel Calahan, of Truni. bull county, Ohio, and Rebecca Wolford and Elizabeth Bowers, of Huntingdon county, Pa. In 1853 their meetings of prayer became increasingly interesting; the congregation much increased, and some began to seek the Saviour. The church was constituted by J. H. Hazen and Isaac Philips, in 1854; in number, 19. Their first pastor was David Philips, 1854; Winthrop Converse, 1856; W. W. Devan, 1857 until 1859; Mark Haskell, their present supply. J. E. Dean received license to preach, December 12, 1856. he Deacons.—Jacob Price, Caleb Corbin, Riley Bruce, L. Dean and David $oyt, Thus far this church have lived in harmony. "' Love is the golden chain that binds The happy souls. above; And he's an heir of heaven that finds, His bosom glow with love." They are yet destitute of a meeting-house. We hope the Z`4 church, aided by the citizens, will soon erect a house here for A their accommodation. "Go up to the mountain, and bring wood, and build thee a house, and I will take pleasure in it, and I will be glorified, saith the Lord." "Who is there among you of all his people, his God be with him, and let him go up to Jerusalem, which is in Judea, and build the house of the Lord God of Israel." "Build thee a house in Jerusalem,and dwell there, and go not forth any whither." The writer is not sufficiently acquainted with the territory to describe it, and he has not been informed by communication. Their present number, 22.
24 BEAVER BAPTIST ASSOCIATION.
WEST GREENVILLE CHURCH. This . town was visited by John Winter, J. H. Hazen, N. Burwell, F. Kidder, S. S. Still, J. L. Richmond, T. W. Greer and others; but the first regular administration of the gospel was by J. H. Hazen, while pastor of the Georgetown Church, French Creek Association. He was aided by the Pennsylvania Baptist Convention. During his time with this people, a Baptist Conference was formed in 1852. N. Burwell succeded him, aided by the Baptist Home Missionary Society; he remained about three years. Then followed a destitution of more than a year In 1857, Samuel Godshall, of Chester county, Pa., removed to the place; he soon began to make arrangements for the organization of a church. The first Baptists in the town and near it, were Ransaleer Heath, his mother and his wife, from the State of New York, Jane Powers, David Loutzenhizer, Joseph Partridge and his wife, Friend Cook and his wife, of New York, Jonathan Leet and his wife, Frederick Leet and his sisters, of Providence, Clarissa Austin, of Massachusets, and sister Reed; some others also removed here before the church was constituted. The church was constituted by Jacob Morris, G. W. Fuller, H. Steelman, W. W. Converse, D. L. Clouse and A. G. Kirk, July 9,1857; in number, 20. Demas L. Clouse was elected their first pastor; he took charge of the church October 1, 1857, and is yet with them. The Deacons. — William Emery and Friend Cook. They have gradually increased in numbers, and now exert a salutary influence in the town and surrounding country. Their meetings were at first held in the Academy. A meeting-house was commenced soon after they obtained regular preaching, ' but it was not completed. While N. Burwell was with them, their present house was erected and finished, except laying the floor, plastering and other inside work; in 1858 it was finished. It is pleasantly situated in the north
????????? CHURCH. 25
VANPORT CHURCH.---S. SCHOOLS. part of the town. It is terminated by a spire, which, together with the house, is creditable to the church and citizens, and adds much to the attractive appearance of the town; it is very neatly finished inside and well lighted. This church has, from its organization, continued in peace and harmony. The members live generally in or near the town. Their present number, 42. VANPORT CHURCH. G. T. Dinsmore visited this place, December, 1858; he preached in the court house at ' Beaver, on the Sabbath, and in a school house at Vanport during the week. At this time five candidates were baptized. In May, 1859, two were baptized. The church- was constituted by Isaac Sawyer, of the Union Baptist Church, Pittsburgh, David Williams, of Peter's Creek, Daniel Daniels, of Providence, Bro. Bolton, of Pittsburgh, Bro. King, and G. T. Dinsmore, October 7, 1859; in number, 16. Sermon by I. Sawyer, Eph. 4 :4, 5, 6. The Deacons.—James Porter and John Weaver. They have already commenced to build a meeting-house in Vanport. G. T. Dinsmore is the pastor. The membership reside mostly in Vanport, Bridgewater, and other places near to Vanport. Their present number is 16. SABBATH SCHOOLS. Nearly all the churches now support Sabbath schools during the summer, and the more highly favored can maintain them all the year. This interest is rapidly increasing in this Association. Parents and guardians are becoming more engaged in the dissemination of religious truth among the rising generation. It is encouraging to know that many of our schools are now introducing, and others will next year introduce, our own valuable. Sabbath school books, obtained from the American Baptist Publication Society, 530 Arch street, Philadelphia, as better adapted to the wants of the youth than many
26 BEAVER BAPTIST ASSOCIATION.
others. The Young Reaper, unequaled as a Sabbath school periodical, is now being circulated in nearly all of the schools, and will soon find its way into every family. "Bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord." Eph. 6 :4. From a child thou past known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation, through faith which is in Christ Jesus." 2 Tim. 3 :15^. REGULAR SUPPLIES. For many man years after the organization of the Association, the churches were destitute much of the time. After the division of the Association in 1819, but three ordained ministers were left. A few of the churches had preaching twice a month, some but once a month, and the more feeble not so frequently. Tow, Providence, Sharon, Muddy Creek, West Salem, Achor, Zoar, New Castle and West Greenville, have preaching every Sabbath, and all the others twice a month. "The Lord hath done great things for us, whereof we are glad." Ps. 126:3. SELE-SUPPORTING. These churches now support their ministers without aid from abroad, except West Greenville, which is yet unable to support a minister all the time without help. The Baptist Home Missionary Society, very much to the benefit of the church and interest of the denomination in that part of our Association, still continues its support. Amana was aided by the State Convention during the pastorate of G. Lanham; and New Castle was much benefited by the timely help of. the same Society during the first three years' pastorate of A. G. Kirk. DEBTS ON MEETING-HOUSES. The churches have mostly avoided debts . on their houses, choosing rather to meet in an humble place free of debt, than
????????? CHURCH. 27
THE TERRITORY. to have costly houses under mortgage. With the exception of two or three, against which small claims are held, mostly by their own members, we know nothing of "church debts." Nearly all the money for the erection of meeting-houses has been obtained on the ground and in the vicinity of each church. In the erection of some of the houses, it was necessary to ask aid from some not in the vicinity; but we are safe in saying that but little has been obtained beyond the bounds of our Association, except to finish the house at West Greenville. They needed help, and most promptly, at the solicitation of D. L. Clouse, (the authorized agent to receive it,) did a few liberal friends in Philadelphia supply their want. THE TERRITORY. There remaineth yet very much land to be possessed." Josh. 13: 1. "Let us go up at once and possess it, for we are well able to overcome it." Num. 13:30. Providence should have a branch at New Brighton, thus ' meeting Van-port at Fallston. Achor might have an out-station at Darlington. Zoar should meet Achor at Petersburg or Unity village. Sharon might grasp hands with Zoar at New Bed- ford. West Salem and West Greenville and Sharon might meet at Clarksville. West Salem and West Greenville are each within six miles of Jamestown; at this place are firm and tried friends of the Saviour, and also well qualified to advocate the doctrines of the denomination: they will be prepared, by the blessing of God, to extend the influence north to French Creek Association. West Greenville might also meet East Salem on the east. Mill Creek should meet Unity at some point between the two. Zion and Muddy Creek might occupy all. the ground between them. Amana and Zion should meet south of Portersville. Harmony, New Bethel and New Castle already meet; and when New Prospect and New Castle meet at New Wilmington, and Provi-
28 BEAVER BAPTIST ASSOCIATION.
Bence has reached out an eastern hand to grasp Amana's western hand at Zelienople, the connection will be complete. We should have, and the Lord assisting us, we can have, an unbroken influence from the Ohio river on the south to the French Creek Association on the north, and from the Clarion Association on the east to the Ohio line on the west. "0 Zion, spread more wide thy tent; Stretch forth thy straining cords; The promise dawns, the clouds are rent, Earth thou shalt be the Lord's." PRINCIPLES ADVOCATED. The first members of these churches were not only Baptists in name, but such in sentiment. The reader may find the Articles of the Association in the minutes of 1846. NoTE.-- The 10th Article, page 11, was expunged in 1860. The Articles of some of the churches may differ from these in phraseology, but they are all in substance the same. Some of the churches have adopted the Articles found in the 11 Church Manual," by J. Newton Brown, and obtained at 530 Arch street, Philadelphia. We live in an age of ad- vancement, but we cannot consent to advance beyond, or contrary to the holy principles taught by Christ and his apos- ties, and so firmly maintained by those who first engaged in the cause of our Saviour in this and other Associations. The cry of "Christian Union" is now heard in Union prayer tmeetings, and on other public occasions; and as Christian Union is desirable, it is necessary that our position should be known. Whatever may be said in favor of union with other denominations, in localities where Sabbath schools and meetings of prayer cannot be maintained by any one society, it is evident to all who are acquainted with our sentiments, that we can only unite, in Sabbath schools and in other religious exercises, where it can be done without the sacrifice of prin-
????????? CHURCH. 29
PRINCIPLES ADVOCATED. ciples which are dear to us, highly valued by the pioneers in this and other sections of our country, and for the vindication of which the Baptist martyrs suffered and died. NOTE.--See "Baptist Martyrs," a book which should be in every family, obtained at 530 Arch street, Philadelphia. By reference to our Articles, it will be seen that we hold, in common with all other orthodox denominations, the evangelical doctrines of the Bible. Thus far we are now in union with them. But there are some doctrines advocated by some denominations to which we object; in these we are not in union. There are, at least, four planks in some platforms that are objectionable to us. These must be removed before Baptists can occupy with others the "Union platform "---at least these planks cannot form a part of the foundation on which we are to stand. We are confident they are not apostolic: we find no authority for their introduction from any passages of the Bible yet produced in their faver, and until we do, though the charge of "exclusiveness" be yet more frequently made, we shall firmly adhere to what we believe the Holy Scriptures teach. First.—We object to the reception of any as members of the church until they have professed faith in Christ. We find no authority for the baptism of any before professed repentance. Matt. 3:7 to 11; Acts 2:38; 8:36 to 88; 16:14, 15; 16: 30 to 35. Second.—We object to aspersion, or pouring, in the name of the Holy Trinity. We find no case of either in the days of Christ and the apostles--on the contrary, it is evident that professed believers were immersed. Matt. 3: 6; Acts 8: 39; Rom. 6: 4; 1 Cor. 15: 39. Third.—We object to ministerial delegation to the exclusion of lay delegation in religious assemblies. Fourth.--We acknowledge no ruling or directing power ~O above the church; hence we will not subject ourselves to, nor
30 BEAVER BAPTIST ASSOCIATION.
be governed by popes, arch-bishops, bishops, conferences, as. semblies or councils. Matt. 18 :15 to 21 • Acts 15:1 to 33— see 22d verse; Matt. 23 : 8 to 13. Our sentiments cannot be advocated and prevailing errors opposed, without opposition and the unjust charge of bigotry. Christ met with some "who made the commandments of God of none effect by their ,tradition." We (find some in the nineteenth century who do the same. Some there were when the pioneers first unfurled the Baptist banner here, and some there are yet, after fifty years have passed away, that can, in - -their own estimation, at least, by using the crucible of expediehcy, heated by religious zeal, convert positive commandments of Christ and plain practices of the apostolic church, into nonessentials. May we transmit to posterity, unchanged and untarnished, the holy doctrines delivered into us by the Head of the church, as We find them recorded in the Scriptures, ( Ye shall not add unto the word which I commandy ou, neither shall ye diminish aught from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the Lord your God which I command you." • Dent. 4: 2. "Thus did Noah; according to all that God Go manded him, so did he'' Gen. 6:22. "Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I eo nnand you." John 15:14. See also Titus 2: 13, 14. Religious tcl ,ration, once so objectionable, now becoming so popular in this country, and in all other places where the ~:- P P Y~ aces P g^dspel has been 'sent, Was warmly advocated by Roger WiI- _ liams. The Welsh Baptists have, from their early history, ITE contended for it, and its ari n is the Holy Scriptures. "The r+ kst regational Ohureh In lem, Ma., "from `which Roger Williams was driven in 1636 (together with the first fn vston, , vhreh 'mod '#the died), is no'*, and long has been Unitarian; while eFTh1it4ihu~hin= n o denee, -R. I., ti tied by R~r Wiilifl, aikvs'has b #i, awl Mill is; e an- i+^a°l and 1at y'+ r tr + krther 'cl s, rl ^ ed amt
????????? CHURCH. 31
THE DEOEASED. $3,000 to the Foreign Missionary enterprise." Curtis on Communion, Appendix L, page 301. "Eight or . ten years before the American Revolution, Thomas Jefferson attended the meetings of a Baptist church near his residence (Andrew Tribble, pastor), for several months in succession. After one of these meetings, at the request of Mr. Jefferson, Mr. Tribble dined at the house of the former. The pastor asked Jefferson how he was pleased with their church government? To this Jefferson replied, that it had struck him with great force, and had interested him much; that he considered it the only form of pure democracy that then existed in the world, and had concluded, that it would be the best plan of government for the American. colonies. This was several years before the Declaration of Independence. To what extent this practical exhibition of religious liberty and equality operated on Mr. Jefferson's mind in forming his views and principles of religious and civil freedom which were afterward so ably exhibited,. I will not say."—Dr. Fishback, of Lexington, Ky, communicated to the Uhristian Watchman. See Curtis on Communion, Appendix K, page -299. 'rni DECEASED. All who were once active members of these churches, but now removed by death, cannot be noticed here. The names of many are unknown to the author; the names of but few have been communicated to him. Some of the ministers who once preached here have removed, some have gone to dwell with the ransomed in heaven. "Friend -after friend departs, Who kath not -lost a friend? ? There is no union ,here of heairts That •finds not here an end; Were this frail world our final rest, Living 6r dying, `hone " e e blest."
32 BEAVER BAPTIST ASSOCIATION.
EZEKIEL JONES and Abigail Jones, died near Wooster, Ohio. They have gone to the "rest that remaineth to the people of God." "These ashes, too, this little dust, Our Father's care shall keep, Until the final trump shall break The long and dreary sleep." HENRY SPEAR, whose voice was first heard at Providence, then at Unity, Amana and Muddy Creek, proclaiming the gospel to the fallen, and directing sinners to Christ for salvation, died at Horse Shoe, Washington county. "Servant of God, well done, Rest from thy loved employ; The battle fought, the victory won, Enter thy Master's joy." HENRY FRAZURE was a native of New Jersey. After hard labor in the service of his Saviour, whose "yoke is easy" and whose "burden is light," he died at his residence in Mercer county, in 1854. See minutes of 1854,. page 6. '" "Life's labor done, as sinks the clay, Light from its load the spirit flies; While heaven and earth combine to say, Y How blest the righteous when he dies." F , ANDREW CLARK was a native of Pennsylvania. He died ...• at Palmyra, Ohio. Seed sown by him at Achor, Ohio, brought forth fruit forty years afterward. William Brown, baptized October 4, 1858, in relating his experience, dated his first convictions to the preaching of Andrew Clark. "Thou canst not toil in vain, Cold, heat, and moist, and dry, Shall foster and mature the grain For garners in the sky." SAMUEL M'MILLEN died at his residence, near the meeting-house at Providence, September 24, 1831, aged 80. He and Thomas Daniels are buried near each other. " He died
????????? CHURCH. 33
THE DECEASED. in a good old age, an old man and full of years; and was gath- ered to his people." WILLIAM STONE died in Salem, Ohio, August 11, 1852, in his 76th year. For several years before his death, he preached for feeble churches that were destitute, and in places where were found a few Baptists without a, church. 0 His support was not, during this time, according to Luke 10: 7—" The. laborer is worthy of his hire." Compare 1 Car. 9:7-15. Who would not wish to die like those, Whom God's own Spirit deigns to bless; To sink into that soft. repose, Then wake to perfect happiness?" THOMAS DANIELS was a native of Wales, emigrated in 1835. Died at his residence, near the meeting-house at Providence, November 4, 1846, aged 69. Sermon by Rees Davis, Zech. 1: 5. See minutes, 1847, page 6. Sarah Daniels, his wife, died July 26, 1845, aged 67. "The voice at midnight came, He started up to hear; A mortal arrow pierced his frame, He fell, but felt no fear. Tranquil amid alarms, It found him on the field, A veteran slumbering on his arms; Beneath his red-cross shield." DAVID PHILIPS was not one of the pastors, but as he was the pioneer at Sharon, and preached at Achor at the time of the constitution, an obituary is proper here. He died at Peter's Creek. He was heard to say some time previous to his death, "I bave sowed seed enough to convert, by the blessing of God, all the people of the county, but there will not probably be any revival while I live." The grass had not more than covered his grave, when God most graciously visit-
34 BEAVER BAPTIST ASSOCIATION.
ed that place, and very many dated their convictions to the sermons and exhortations of that faithful servant of Christ. "Bury the dead, and weep In stillness o'er the loss; Bury the dead, in Christ they sleep, Who bore on earth his cross And from the grave their dust shall rise, In his own image to the skies." THOMAS G. JONES was a native of Wales. He removed from New Jersey to Sharon in 1805, and to Wooster, Ohio, in 1811, where he died. He is said to have been a minister of deep piety and extensive and powerful influence. May the conquering faith that cheered thee, When thy foot on Jordan pressed, Guide our spirits while we leave thee In the tomb that Jesus blest." DAVID PhILIPs was a native of Wales. Though enfeebled in body and impaired in mind by reason of age, when he first came to the Association, an observer could see the remains of great physical ability; and those who knew him in his native country, represent him as an able sermonizer. "Blessed are the dead that die in the Lord, from henceforth; yea, saith the Spirit, that they may rest from their labors, and their works do follow them." JONATHAN DAVIS was a native of Wales. To him are we indebted for the Memoir and Sermons of Christmas Evans, translated from Welsh into our own language. He died in South Carolina, in 1843. GEORGE I. MILES was a native of Pennsylvania. He was one of four brothers, Baptist ministers. He was at one time agent of the P. B. S. Convention. He removed to the West, where he died. "Go to the grave, at noon from labor cease, Rest on thy sheaves, thy harvest task is done; Come from the heat of battle, and in peace, Soldier go home, with thee the fight is won."
????????? CHURCH. 35
THE DECEASED. ISAAC R. BARRIS was a native of Pennsylvania. He was pastor at New Bethel. He died near Providence meeting- - house, May 15, 1839. "There is a world above, Where parting is unknown, A long eternity of love, Formed for the good alone; And faith beholds the dying here Translated to that glorious sphere." No doubt other ministers who once preached here are deceased, but the writer has not received information from which to write an obituary. Information has been furnished relative to a few of the lay members (deceased) whose names appear in this work. Nathaniel Hazen, one of the first deacons at Providence, at one time invited his -descendants to dine with him on the bank of the Connoquenessing; ninety-four were present at dinner. At the time of his death, they had increased to three hundred and sixty; and as one quarter' of a century has passed away since that time, we may safely estimate them at five hundred or more. Those who are . professors (so far as known by the friends), are nearly all members of the Baptist Church; and those connected with them by marriage, are nearly all of the same denomination. "Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it." Nathaniel Hazen died at Providence, November 3, 1835, aged 90. His wife Mary, died December 29, 1834, aged 86. George Brown, one of the deacons at Achor, died there in 1828. His wife Alice died 1848. John Grate, 1848. Job Rossell, Sr., and his, wife Elizabeth, in 1857. Edward Wright.. the first deacon at Zoar, died at his residence near Hillville, in.1849. He was a delegate when Zoar Church was received,. and present at every. Association afterward until he died. His wife, Abigail died at the same. pla.ce. John Morford died.
36 BEAVER BAPTIST ASSOCIATION.
May Ma 8, 1840, aged Mary Morford, his wife, died Febru- bged Mary ary 24, 1834, aged 77. James Morford died 1809. Mary Hampson died at her residence near the meetinghouse at Zion. She was quietly devoted to the work of her Saviour, but like the rose, that in vain seeks to hide its beauty behind the leaves that try to conceal it, that devotion was known to some who yet live to imitate her example. "Sister, thou wast mild and lovely, Gentle as the summer breeze; Pleasant as the air of evening, When it floats among the trees." Mary Craven died at New Castle, 1842. She was remarkable for strong faith in God, being confident that He would fulfill his promises. Rom. 4: 21. Edward Griswold died at Warren, Ohio, 1848. He was deeply interested in the cause of Christ at home and in the foreign fields. John Hazen, one of the first deacons at Harmony, died at his residence near the meeting-house, January 1, 1851, aged 78. Lavina Ba.zen, one of the pioneers there, died August 26, 1846, aged 60. Jane Powers, one of the first and most devoted-at West Green- ville, died at that place. "Asleep in Jesus; far from thee Thy kindred and their graves may be; But thine is still a blessed sleep, From which none ever wakes to weep." 3 ~ MINISTERS' WIVES DECEASED. The first wife of Jacob Morris died at Bridgewater, September 21, 1843, aged 47. The first wife of Daniel Daniels died at Zion, July 22, 1843; his second wife died at her residence near New Brighton, May 5, 1856, aged 37; she is buried at Providence. The first wife of G. Lanham died in Virginia, December 15, 1838. The wife of Jesse B. Williams died at r her residence near Downingtown, Chester county, March 5, 1857, aged 27. The wife of Rees Davis died at her residence
????????? CHURCH. 37
MINISTERS' WIVES DECEASED. 37 near Achor; she was buried September 27, 1858. The funeral sermon was preached October 4, 1858—Num. 23: 10- after which her two only children, a. son and daughter, were baptized. After the baptism, the father and aged pastor remarked, "This day, one week ago, we buried the mother; to-day the children have been buried in the likeness of Christ's burial, and have been raised out of the liquid grave in the likeness of his resurrection." "Shrink not from life's bitter cup, God shall bear thy spirit up—He shall lead thee safely on, Till the ark of rest is won— Till thy spirit is set free As thy days thy strength shall be." The AGED MINISTERS who yet remain with us, and whose mantles, we hope, will fall on some of our youth, are Rees Davis, a native of Wales; Samuel Stoughton, a native of Pennsylvania; Jacob Morris, a native of the principality of Wales; and John Parker, of England. "Cast me not off when strength declines, When hoary hairs arise; And round me let thy glory shine,. Where'er thy servant dies."
[ 38 ]
This Web-page is still under construction:
Campbell's recollections of 1823 (1848)
Campbell's Debate on Christian Baptism (1824)
Campbell on experimental religion/revivals (1824)
Baptism of William Church in Pittsburgh (1826)
Greatrake's first anti-Campbell pamphlet (mid 1824)
Campbell's first reply to Greatrake (1824)
Scott's reply to Greatrake (1824)
Greatrake's second anti-Campbell pamphlet (late 1824)
Campbell's second reply to Greatrake (1825)
Greatrake's Redstone Assoc. Letter (1826)
Greatrake's third anti-Campbell pamphlet (1826)
M'Calla's anti-Campbell pamphlet (1826)
Greatrake's Harp of Zion (1827)
Greatrake's "Dialogue" with Andrew Fuller (1828)
Greatrake's fourth anti-Campbell pamphlet (1830)
McCalla's Discussion of Christian Baptism (1831)
Greatrake's fifth anti-Campbell pamphlet (1836)
Rigdon Among the Baptists - part 1
Rigdon Among the Baptists - part 2
Rigdon Among the Baptists - part 3
Rigdon Among the Baptists - part 4
Rigdon Among the Baptists - part 5